Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry
After the discovery of oil in Bahrain in 1932 AD, the commercial and financial activity began to grow, and it became necessary for there to be a specific entity for the merchants to adopt and defend their interests, and to be the reference and support for them and to solve their issues. From here, the marine merchants took the initiative to establish a room called (the General Merchants Association) in 1939 to be the first and oldest Chamber of Commerce in the Arabian Gulf region
Then a group of merchants submitted a proposal calling for the development of this association and turning it into a chamber of commerce to change its name to (Bahrain Chamber of Commerce) in 1945, and with the expansion of its tasks and specializations, a law was prepared guided by the laws of Arab and foreign chambers and the model of the Unified Law of Arab Chambers and the approval of replacing its name to (Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry) in 1967, when it became known by this name until now
The Chamber used to carry out its work through rented offices, until 1980 when it moved to a permanent building of its own and independent of it, and it continued in that building until the construction and opening of another building, which was given a distinctive name under the name “The Merchants House” in April 2009. The Chamber witnessed through its long history, breakthroughs and shifts in tasks and responsibilities until it became – in its capacity as the representative of the Bahraini private sector – the main engine of economic activity and work and the main integrated partner with the public sector in Bahrain.
The relations of cooperation, coordination, and areas of joint work have multiplied with ministries, agencies, bodies, and local official and private institutions, as well as with regional, Arab and international organizations. During the year 2015, the Chamber celebrated the Diamond Jubilee and the 75th anniversary of its founding.
The Chamber accompanied the process of economic and social development in the Kingdom of Bahrain since its inception in 1939 and had an effective impact in highlighting the importance and role of the private sector in the process of sustainable development, side by side and in complementary partnership with the public sector, until the Chamber became a symbol of free economic work, a destination Active in building and strengthening relations and developing serious and fruitful cooperation at the regional, Arab and international levels
The Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry, through its membership in the Federation of Chambers of the Gulf Cooperation Council, and being one of the contributors to its establishment since 1979, played an important and influential role for its Gulf sisters on the road to completing the stages of establishing the Gulf common market, achieving Gulf integration and citizenship, and addressing the challenges and shortcomings facing the development process. Modernization, joint action, and Gulf economic unity reached its desired stages.
Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry Traders House
Phone / 0097317380010
Fax / 0097317380119
Website / www.bahrainchamber.org